Sunday, March 21, 2010

The David Project

Dear Family and Friends,
As you all know, David’s birthday, March 31st, is quickly approaching. Believe it or not, our little boy would be seven this year. Since his death, I have always wanted to make “good” of his death and felt it was important to honor David’s memory by helping our community in some way.
I have pondered many ideas and never seemed to come up with one that would not require a huge undertaking or large sums of money. One day, a dear friend suggested I check out a blog of a mother who had lost her son and at that time she was doing something called The Brenham Project in her son’s honor. I loved how she chose to give back by donating items to the hospital where her child was during his time in the NICU. After our precious Emma’s surgery last year, I knew I wanted to do something that involved children of all ages during their stay in the hospital. I then realized that David’s life could touch so many more people. And that was when this idea was born!
I am asking that you participate in The David Project and donate one dollar for a great cause. I would like to buy books for children who are in hospital to help brighten up their stay by knowing someone cares about them and give them something to do. I will be buying the books from a company called Scholastic, which not only offers books for $1.00 but the project will also get bonus points for each dollar spent. That means with your dollar donation, you will be helping get FREE books for the project.
So, please participate in The David Project and donate one dollar to buy a book for a child in the hospital. The pediatric unit at St. Joseph Mercy-Oakland in Bloomfield is so excited to receive the books and the woman I talked to was so honored to be the recipient of such generosity. Every book will have a label inside telling the recipient that the book was donated lovingly in David’s honor by family and friends. You can mail your donations to 1820 Worcester, Oxford, Michigan 48371. Please join us as we honor David’s life by helping others. Thank you!!!

God Bless,
Carly

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

Carly,
We'll help! You should add a Chip In widget to your blog and then people can just donate through Paypal.

Go to Chipin.com

We used this to raise money for the adoption and it was easy and successful!

Great idea by the way :)

karen said...

Great idea honey! You can count on me. Its hard to believe its been seven years...

Meeghan said...

Love this idea...I am going to post about this on my blog :)

Meeghan said...

Over the next two months I will have 25 books coming your way. Being a part of Scholastic too, I have 2 coupons for $10 to spend in April and May. I also have a few other free book coupoons to use. As I recieve them, I will pass them your way. Love you and Love this project.

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Marie